Friday, September 28, 2007

O’Hare... I hate you.

I'm sitting at the airport, Chicago O'Hare, angry and alone - well, traveling alone, there are tens of other people sitting around me, not on either side of me though (thank goodness). Our flight has been delayed an hour. Not too bad as far as delays go, but it is hard to accept when it is a beautiful sunny day in September, temps in the 70s, not a cloud in the sky. I have plans tonight, well had plans. Once I arrive in St. Louis I am supposed to drive to Mizzou to go out with my sister for her 21st birthday. My flight was supposed to arrive at 7:10pm, now I wont get there til after 8, then exit the airport, get picked up by Dad, ride to my parents house, pick up a car and drive myself the hour and a half to Columbia. So I wont get there til after 10. And that doesnt include any time primping to look half way cute for going out to the bars. So, its really not worth it. So I'm probably going to stay in St. Louis tonight and drive there in the morning. So I spent $ and sat in airports for hours to spend one night going to bars in my former college town. BUT this is for my sister's birthday and it is important to her, so I am doing it. I keep telling myself I'm not going to fly anymore, but I keep doing it. The alternatives aren't great either: rent car ($, gas $, and have to be driving for six hours - but at least I would be moving, making some progress toward my destination), the train - which is cheaper, but still takes six hours and could be (usually is) delayed too. So we fly.

Its getting dark outside now. A woman just walked by in platform red heels. What in the world is she thinking? Not appropiate shoes for traveling, there is a lot of walking in the airport... Anyway - gate change - H11A, have to move now. ugh.

No seats over here, so Im sitting on the ground in the concourse, leaning on a newspaper box. This sucks bad enough having to be in this crowded mess and now I have to be in it longer. No more traveling, its not fun anymore.

I've changed gates three times since I got here and now Im back at the one I started at. I swear Im going to get run over sitting here - woman in wheelchair, man running pushing baggage cart, omg trash can on wheels! Get me on this plane! Shouldn't we be boarding by now? How is this plane supposed to leave the gate in ten minutes?! Omg 7:35 now?!?! Oh - theres the text message informing me of the time change. Thanks for the reminder. Another girl in heels. WTF? Sure, you look cute, everyone in the airport is very impressed. Okay a man just knocked MY suitcase into my head. Asshole!!! I'm texting with my dad. I'm glad he finds this humorous. "Sit in the front of the plane," he says, "you'll get here sooner. LOL." Dad must have just learned LOL, its in every message. I'm so glad I left work early today. I wonder if pilots dread flying into O'Hare as much as people hate flying in or out. Omg - people are entering the gate!! We are boarding!

I'm in my seat now. 7:40pm. I am in row 10. My carry-on is in row 19. So I am sure I will have to wait for everyone to de-plane before I can walk back there to get my bag. I love saving time by not checking my bag. At least there are no screaming children on here, its actually very quiet.

Okay, if I would have driven, say a Zip-car, (im not sure how that compares in price to car rental) plus price of gas (which keeps going up, but thats a whole 'nother story) but if I left at 3pm I could have made it to Columbia around 9, depending on city traffic. (And, how would all that compare to the price of my plane ticket??) But instead, I am arriving at Lambert Ariport at about the same time. Does that mean I actually lost ground in some way?? Well, I certainly lost a few hours, but we did get this fun little story.

I'm surprised theres not more unruly drunk people on planes. Make them sit and wait in a crowded terminal for hours and keep extending the wait a little bit at a time, just enough to make them angry, and what else is there to do but drink?

8:05pm. Still sitting on the runway waiting to take off. My god - I'll be surprised if I get there by Christmas! Oh - wait, wait, we're moving... take-off! We are in the air, circling around the airport, but we're in the air!

You may now use approved electronic devices. Ahhh... iPod and Skymall, recline your seat and relax for the 45 minutes of airtime to St. Louis.