Thursday, March 13, 2008

I am sick sick sick of being cold!

I’ve about had it with Chicago winter. It’s March. Today we might hit fifty degrees! Im constantly freezing. My house is cold. I wear sweatpants and sweatshirts to bed. Im barely warm in a hot shower. Like Kramer, I can’t seem to get my core temperature back up.

Making things worse, I have Raynauds, a disorder that causes the blood vessels in my extremities to spasm and cut off blood supply to my fingers and toes. Basically it makes my fingers and toes turn white and numb, and incredibly painful, followed by even worse pain when blood comes back and they turn from blue to red. Of course it happens in winter when it is freezing, but the worst times are in the spring and fall when temperatures are actually tolerable, but slightly chilly. Standing outside in this weather for thirty minutes waiting for the bus (turning a beautiful day into a painful nightmare) can induce a Raynauds spasm. So can air conditioning, holding cold drinks, and taking foods from the freezer. Now I’m trying to remember, why the hell do I live in Chicago??


I know from experience that this is the worst part about weather in Chicago. The tease of March and April, it’s finally stopped snowing, but the temperatures can’t seem to break out of the 40’s. And, I’m not even counting the wind chill coming in off Lake Michigan…


I know in a couple months, I’ll have forgotten all about this, when I’m laying out at the beach on my lunch breaks and saying it was all worth it. But right now it feels like it will never end.